top of page

Short-term accommodation options you might want to consider when you first arrive could include: Hostels and discounted rates on hotels. If you are studying in Australia, you may be able to access temporary student housing while you get settled. Talk to your institution’s international support staff or check […]

Renting a house or flat is usually done through real estate agents who act on behalf of landlords. You can also rent directly from a private landlord. Rental properties are advertised online and in newspapers in the ‘To let’ and ‘Accommodation vacant’ sections. You can […]

People on low incomes may be eligible for temporary accommodation, or financial assistance from the government for help paying the rental bond and the first month rent in advance. Rent Assistance is a government payment to help people on low incomes pay their rent ( Public housing If […]

All states and territories have government authorities that give tenants advice on their rights and responsibilities, often in several languages: State or Territory Housing and Fair Trading Authority Telephone ACT Access Canberra ( 13 22 81 NSW NSW Fair Trading ( 13 32 20 NT Consumer Affairs […]

Houses or flats for sale are usually advertised in the newspaper or online. Real estate agencies also list properties for sale. If you are buying a home for the first time in Australia you may be eligible for a state or territory government first home owner […]

Whether you rent or buy, you will need to have household services such as water, electricity and gas connected to the property. The service providers may be government agencies or private companies, depending on your location – check the telephone directory. You will generally need to give service […]

Local government normally manages waste collection. There are usually separate bins for ordinary household rubbish and recyclable materials such as bottles, cans, paper and cardboard. To check collection days, contact your local council or ask your neighbours. See also Chapter 12, Civic Participation.

You can mail letters and parcels through Australia Post boxes or offices. Stamps for overseas mail cost more than Australian mail. Australia Post also provides other useful services, such as paying bills and taking passport photos (see If you move house, you can have your mail redirected to your […]

bottom of page