top of page

Buying a house or flat

Houses or flats for sale are usually advertised in the newspaper or online. Real estate agencies also list properties for sale. If you are buying a home for the first time in Australia you may be eligible for a state or territory government first home owner grant (see

If you are not a permanent resident of Australia, you may need foreign investment approval to buy a house (see

If you need to borrow money to buy a property, contact your bank or other financial institution. In Australia, when buying property, people usually use a solicitor or conveyancer to manage the transaction. Do not sign any contract unless you fully understand all the terms and conditions.

For more information on purchasing property, go to

For more information please go to 

bottom of page