top of page


Immunisation protects children and adults against harmful infections and diseases. Immunisation is not compulsory but is recommended for all children and some adults. Some states and territories require a record of a child’s immunisations before the child attends child care or starts school.

Most vaccinations are given by your family doctor or your community health centre. However, some vaccinations are given in schools. Contact your family doctor or community health centre to find out more.

The Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) at is a national register that records vaccinations given to children and young individuals under 20 years of age.

Children and young individuals under 20 years of age who are enrolled in Medicare will automatically be included on the ACIR. Bring their immunisation records with you to the doctor, so they can record any overseas immunisation details on the register.

Immunisation is a requirement for some government payments ( The only valid exemptions from immunisation requirements are for medical reasons.
Child protection

Where a practice harms or is likely to harm a child or young person, child protection services may become involved to ensure children’s safety and wellbeing. If you or someone you know needs protection from violence or abuse, you should contact the police or a child protection service.

For more information:

For more information please go to 

bottom of page