top of page

Settlement help

The Australian Government supports Australia’s diverse society. For information, go to responsibilities/settlement-and-multicultural-affairs/programs-policy/amulticultural-australia

The Australian Government funds services to help humanitarian entrants and eligible migrants who have recently arrived in Australia to settle and become participating members of Australian society. The focus is on the first five years of settlement. Services include:

Settlement Service Grants
Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)
Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).

Settlement services specifically for humanitarian entrants include:

Humanitarian Settlement Services
Complex Case Support Program
Support for Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors.

To find Humanitarian Settlement Services and Complex Case Support providers, go to

Other settlement resources can be found at

See , English Language for more information on TIS National and AMEP.
Humanitarian Settlement Services

Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS) provides intensive settlement support to newly arrived refugees and humanitarian entrants on arrival and throughout their initial settlement period.

The HSS program is tailored to individual needs, including the specific needs of young people. HSS helps clients participate in the economic and social life of Australia. It equips them with the skills and knowledge to independently access services in the future.

Services provided under the HSS program may include:

airport reception and placement in short-term (temporary) accommodation
assistance locating long-term accommodation
information about and referral to mainstream agencies, community programs, health and other settlement services
an Onshore Orientation Program.

Clients usually remain in the HSS program for six – 12 months.

For more information see:

Complex Case Support Program

The Complex Case Support (CCS) program delivers specialised and intensive case management services to eligible humanitarian entrants who have needs beyond the scope of other settlement services. Clients are eligible for the CCS program for up to five years after
arrival. For more information on the CCS, go to

If you know someone who appears in need of this type of support, or are such a person, phone the Complex Case Support team on 1300 855 669.
Settlement Service Grants

This program funds organisations to help new arrivals settle in Australia.

You can access services under Settlement Grants if you are a permanent resident and have arrived in Australia in the last five years as a:

humanitarian entrant
family stream migrant with a low level of English proficiency
dependant of a skilled migrant with low English proficiency who has settled in a rural or regional area.

Some temporary residents (Prospective Marriage and Provisional Partner visa holders and their dependants) in rural and regional areas who have arrived in the last five years and have low English proficiency may also be eligible. Other provisional or temporary visa holders are not eligible for these services.

Settlement Grants also support newly arrived communities that are receiving significant numbers of new arrivals and require assistance to organise, plan and advocate for services.

Service providers help you access mainstream services such as assistance in housing, child care, employment and schooling. They can connect you to support networks to help you settle into the community and help you access English language training, education and

For more information:

Support for Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors

This program assists eligible minors (who have either a permanent resident, temporary humanitarian, temporary protection or an equivalent substantive temporary visa) with care, supervision and support.

For more information on Unaccompanied Humanitarian Minors, go to
Settlement DVDs

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has produced a DVD called Australia – A New Home for newly arrived refugees from Africa and Asia. The DVD contains information on housing, health, education, money, work, family, Australian law and living in Australia.

The DVD for African refugees is available in Amharic, Dinka, Kirundi, Sudanese, Arabic, Swahili and Tigrinya languages.

The DVD for Asian refugees is available in Burmese, Chin (Haka), Karen, Nepali and Rohingya languages.

Both DVDs have an English language option and English subtitles. Episodes are also available in English on Border TV – go to and search for ‘orientation information’.

For copies of the DVD, ask your settlement service provider, email or contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection at
State and territory settlement help

All state and territory governments have offices for multicultural and migrant affairs. Local governments may also provide support for new residents. See, Civic Participation.

For more information see:

Local government services

Your local council looks after the area you live in and provides many important services to people in the local community. Councils are funded by rates paid by local property owners. You do not have to own a property to access local government services.

Many councils produce information booklets or new resident kits with information about local services and facilities (including garbage collection times, public health and recreation facilities). You can collect these from the Council or have them posted to you.

Visit your local council or library for more information. Council telephone numbers and addresses are listed in the White Pages under the name of the district

For more information:

Ethnic and community organisations

In Australia, there are many ethnic and community organisations that serve and represent the interests of people from diverse cultural, linguistic and religious backgrounds. These organisations may be able to help you or direct you to others who can. Ethnic and community
clubs, associations and religious organisations are listed under ‘Clubs’ and ‘Organisations’ in the Yellow Pages.

Many areas have settlement service providers, including migrant resource centres. These organisations are not run by the government, but some receive funding to provide settlement services. They may be able to help you or help you find organisations which suit your needs and interests.

For more information:

For more information please go to 

bottom of page