top of page


The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) issues visas for temporary or permanent stay, and decides citizenship applications (

Use the Visa Finder tool at to find the right visa for you.

You can apply online for many visas at
Resident Return visas

If you are a current or former Australian permanent resident and want to travel overseas and return to Australia as a permanent resident, you may need to apply for a Resident Return visa (RRV) at

You will need this visa if the travel period on your current permanent visa has expired or is about to expire.

The RRV is a permanent visa which allows you to travel overseas and return to Australia as a permanent resident within the period the travel facility is valid. It allows the holder to remain in Australia indefinitely. There is no need to apply for the RRV if you do not intend to travel overseas. More information about the RRV can be found on the DIBP website at
Visas to visit Australia

Temporary visitors need to apply for a visa that covers the full period of their intended stay in Australia. There is a range of temporary visas depending on the purpose of the visit. Every visa has special conditions. For more information go to
Visas to visit Australia

There are three types of permanent migration to Australia:

Family migration – the applicant must have an eligible relative in Australia to sponsor them.
Skilled and business migration – the applicant must have skills or special abilities that will contribute to the economy or other areas of Australian life.
Humanitarian migration – the applicant must be subject persecution or substantial discrimination amounting to a gross violation of human rights in their home country and assessed as being in need of resettlement.

Each category has strict requirements. The DIBP website has up-to-date information on visas and offers a “Visa Finder” tool to assist you to find visa options that may be suitable for you at
Registered migration agents

A migration agent is a person who advises on immigration matters, helps to prepare and lodge visa applications, and communicates with DIBP on a client’s behalf. They normally charge a fee.

You do not have to use a migration agent. If you don’t feel confident lodging an application alone or if your case is complex, you may wish to use a registered migration agent.

Migration agents operating in Australia must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA). To find a registered migration agent, go to the OMARA website at
Checking your visa details online

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) is a free online facility for visa holders and organisations to check current visa holder details and can be accessed online at

There is also a myVEVO app which is available for Apple products and can be downloaded for free from the Apple store.

For more information please go to 

bottom of page