top of page

In Australia, there are many banking, insurance, superannuation and investment products and services. Businesses must be licensed by the Government to sell financial products and services. To do so without a license is against the law.

For information on managing your personal finances, and links to calculators and tools, go to The Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s Moneysmart website ( contains useful information about managing and investing money, including household budgets, banking, insurance and debt. Dishonest people might try to trick you into giving […]

Banks, building societies and credit unions provide banking services. To withdraw money, go into a bank or use your debit card and your PIN (Personal Identification Number) to get cash from an ATM (Automatic Teller Machine). You should protect your PIN. Do not write your PIN on your debit card, […]

In Australia, you pay tax to the government on money you earn from a job, business or investment. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) collects taxes from individuals and businesses to pay for important community services like hospitals, schools, roads and railways. The ATO provides videos at to help people […]

Small businesses are an important part of Australia’s economy. There is help available if you want to start your own business. Go to if you are considering starting a small business. For information about the Small Business Education Program offered by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, go […]

Taking out a loan or using credit is when you borrow money and agree to pay it back at a later date with an additional charge, known as interest. Some of the different types of loans are personal loans, home loans, credit cards and overdrafts The cost of […]

Insurance is when you pay an amount of money each year that gives you financial protection against loss or damage. The insurer agrees to compensate you for a loss rather than you having to pay for that loss yourself. Common types of insurance are health (see Chapter 9, Health and […]

The Financial Information Service (FIS) provides information about financial issues. FIS is a free and independent service available over the telephone, in person or through financial education seminars. To find out more about the services offered call 132 300 or visit the FIS website at To attend […]

In Australia, it is acceptable and normal to seek help if you are having money problems. Financial counsellors provide information to people in financial difficulty. They will make an assessment of the situation of the individual or family and then identify the advantages and disadvantages of different […]

When you buy goods or services in Australia, including those bought online, you have rights under the Australian Consumer Law. For example, you have the right to receive accurate and truthful information about the products and services you buy. If something goes wrong with a product you’ve bought because […]

bottom of page